View Single Post
Old 02-23-2015, 07:49 PM
JFeeney
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2013

Originally Posted by Spoilers View Post
I have 8+ yrs. of 121 experience, but no TPIC time. I know competition is fierce and I wasn't expecting to walk out with an interview invite. However, most major carriers recognize that the industry has been very stagnant, some of us had to start over at another carrier and haven't been given the opportunity to upgrade.

I recognize that I am not the only one in this situation and that I have to work three times as hard to make myself stand out from other senior regional FOs AND people with TPIC time. I put in a lot of work and effort to make myself more marketable, it is my part-time job. I take advice, guidance and tips from current (AS) pilots and recruiters that I meet and ask questions on what I can do to strengthen my qualifications and my skills. The majority have been very understanding, offered excellent advice and most importantly been encouraging!

When I compare notes from this event meeting with this Alaska rep to an event I went to last year with another major airline, the difference is day and night...

The <other major airline> rep was very easy to talk to, he understood the industry and the setbacks, he compliment my experience, achievements, activities and that I was on the right track and what I can do to improve myself, but also being realistic to what it takes "right now" to get hired and to be competitive and that the landscape might and probably will change and that there are possibilities to be hired on as an FO with no TPIC time. I'm sure half the stuff was all BS and he probably says the same thing to the next 100 applicants, but I left feeling good and it gave me hope and that I actually learned something.

AS was the complete opposite. Rep didn't even introduce himself, even though I knew who they were (I did my research and homework). No TPIC = no chance. And the only "advice" I was given was that I should upgrade. Gee, never thought of that.

It breaks my heart, because I think Alaska is an awesome company with a great product and every employee I have come across is very passionate about AS and enjoys working there, and I would love to work there. I'm not letting one bad experience keep me from applying, but in the end it was a pretty disappointing way to end the event.
Sorry to hear about your experience. One of the things I HATE about this career is how quickly MANY forget where they came from, and are so quick to treat their fellow professional pilots with condescension and rudeness.

I sincerely hope you are able to keep a positive attitude and catch on somewhere, where, when you are in charge, you'll be able to treat other pilots kindly. Take care.