Thread: Any "Latest & Greatest" about Delta?

duece12345 , 02-26-2015 04:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off
duece12345
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    May 2010
Quote: I have a bit of a unique situation that I would love to hear some expert advice on, and this thread seems like the place where all the resident experts hang out. I'll post it over in the DAL Poolie thread as well, so I apologize for the double post.

I received an interview invite from Delta last Thursday. This Tuesday we found out that my wife is expecting twins, and due to some complications they will be born prematurely no later than the end of August, possibly earlier. Worst case would be if my wife ends up hospitalized for monitoring starting in July, which would probably be before I finished training, and we've got a 4 year old who can't quite take care of himself yet.

Assuming I pass the interview in mid-April (just for discussion sake - not at all taking that for granted!) and start class mid-May, how does Delta handle family medical leave for a case like this for a new hire either before or after the end of training? How long would I be able to take leave to stay at home if I have family in the hospital?

Would this be a situation where it would make sense to do the unheard of and delay a class date for 6 months or so until things had stabilized at home, especially if in May I know I won't be able to get through training / IOE before needing to take leave?

I am also considering not joining the Navy reserves (initially) in order to avoid the extra time away from home, but that also has its pros and cons. Any thoughts from the military side on the comparison of Delta health insurance versus Tricare Reserve Select?

We definitely have a lot of info to figure out and of course it's right in the middle of prepping for the big interview, so I would really appreciate any advice from those who have experienced something similar or are familiar with the rules on this. Unfortunately the timing of all of this has forced the cart way ahead of the horse for us as we are getting out of the Navy and moving from Hawaii in May, probably to Greenville, SC to be near family.

I am very lucky to have a Delta interview and two babies on the way. I wish things were simpler and without the medical complications, but I know with a lot of help we'll get things figured out in the long run. Open replies or PMs welcome, and thank you very much for your time!
I had a similar situation to yours. Bottom line, DELTA WAS AWESOME. check your PMs.

Can't beat TRS. period.