View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 07:26 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Contracting

I met a fellow a few years ago who was a contractor that left the business to fly for the regionals around the same time I was laid off from my airline job and began my developer and real estate career. The regional guy started out with a few rental homes he accumulated from his building career and had to sell them off slowly to compensate for the lack of income.

By the time I met him you could see the panic building as he was a few years into his 50's by that time and still had not upgraded. He was down to his last rental house too. I miss flying everyday however it is undeniable to me that my financial and personal life have greatly improved since being laid off. My wife and children largely live a life we only dreamed of when I was still employed as a pilot.

The regional guy and I essentially changed places in the stream of life. I miss flying everyday but greatly value the improvements to the rest of my life. It seems apparent to me that those of us who are married with children, and who value their family life, should strongly consider the consequences of being gone so much for such a risky career. The prospect of leaving the profession it is a small but painful price to pay, however one that I believe holds the potential of a considerable return.

Skyhigh