View Single Post
Old 03-03-2015, 07:52 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Success in life

USA Today ran an article last summer proclaiming that the average American Dream for a family of four costs $130,000 per year. In summary it costs $130,000 for an average family of four to fund the cost of a comfortable middle class existence plus being able to pay off student debt, save for retirement and for their kids college, plus enjoy a few extras like a two week vacation every year.

In my experience it is a benefit and common goal of parents to have a stay at home spouse while the kids are young. People are commonly in their 20's-30's when they are having children. In a common aviation career if it comes at all the 130K arrives well past 45 and more commonly 50-55. Past the point when it is needed the most to get healthy financial momentum underway. Past the point when saving holds its maximum benefit.

To start out so deeply in debt and behind the financial curve puts into doubt the successful outcome of a family life at all. It makes the prospect the achieving the American Dream at great risk for even the most rosy of planned career projections.

In my case if my aviation dreams had fully come true we would be in grave financial distress right now. We certainly would not have been able to develop the family life we have or momentum we have been able to create. It seems to me that if one holds the dream of being a parent and having a stay at home spouse it is an extreme long shot to be able to accomplish that with an aviation career.

On the other hand if you are a confirmed bachelor who dreams of a studio apartment and is married to the sky then you are in luck. Aviation is your bastion of martyrdom and self indulgence.

Skyhigh