View Single Post
Old 03-03-2015, 11:36 AM
Check Essential
Works Every Weekend

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: 737 ATL

Mike-
I think I remember your question although I didn't go back and search.
Restate it if this isn't responsive:

The answer is that someone who receives an award on the once a year 365 day bid must be trained and converted (with a few listed exceptions) in seniority order with everyone else who receives an award on that same bid to the same category.

If there is a subsequent bid posted and there are awards to the same category then it absolutely is possible that someone junior to you could be trained and converted ahead of you. The contractual requirement to schedule people for training in seniority order only applies to pilots who hold awards from the same bid posting to the same category.

That is the whole purpose of the 365 day bid. It allows the company added flexibility in scheduling training and conversions for everyone who receives an award on that bid. That's also why the contract restricts 365 day bids to one per year. It inconveniences those pilots who receive an award because they are not able to plan their vacation, etc with any certainty for an entire year.

Let us know if this answers your question or post any additional questions you might have. Someone will usually answer eventually.

Just to add on-- new hires haven't seen this kind of "out of seniority" training happen too much during the recent growth phase but it has happened A LOT in the past. The company will generally do it based on what category the award holder is coming from and which one is the most "short" of pilots. When they do it, the pilot who gets bypassed is pay protected and it can sometimes be a pretty good deal (depending on how badly you wanted your vacation or had any other plans that might get disrupted).
Worst case scenario I suppose would be someone who moves their family to a new city and then finds their award delayed by several months. Ouch.

Last edited by Check Essential; 03-03-2015 at 12:20 PM.