Thread: ERJ vs CRJ?
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 07:37 AM
kfahmi
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: RJ right-seat warmer

Take whatever job lets you live in base and never commute. I honestly don't know how commuters do it long-term.

As for the airplanes, the CRJ (even the -200), when compared to the 135/145, is wider, heavier, and gets fewer 'OMG this is a tiny airplane deathtrap' comments from pax. And while the -200's overhead bins are tiny, I can still stuff my rollaboard in them, whereas I can hardly even fit my little crew cooler in the overheads on a 145.

The CRJ 7 and 9 are in a completely different league, weight and performance wise. The 900 is large enough that pax think it's a 'real' airplane, and the -700 actually has an excess of power, to the point that you often have to manually limit the climb rate above FL300 so it doesn't exceed the pressurization system's ability to catch up. There is simply no comparison between the 7/9 and a 145.

The ERJ175, on the other hand, has specs very close to the -900. Passengers love it, and the interior beats the CRJ hands down. I've never flown the airplane so can't comment on the flying characteristics aside from what you already know (it's the only RJ with autothrottles, etc.)

Again, though, choose the job and QOL first. Airframe should be the last deciding factor.