Thread: jetBlue Hiring
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 11:22 AM
aewanabe
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: Blue fifi flogger

Originally Posted by Std Deviation View Post
Need better rules for reserves. At a previous ALPA carrier we could tap out at 15 hours duty. Case in point here - yesterday after starting a reserve availability period at 9am on my last day of reserve (DFW commuter), I got called at 1pm for a 3pm show on a JFK-PBI round. That trip put me at 13:56 duty (and as an aside prevented a commute home).

With snow coming into JFK, I argued that with any delays I was going to hit 16 and that I would not extend beyond my obligation and they'd have to RON me in PBI. They didn't buy it and were willing to take the chance.

Of course with deice and delays I didn't hit 16 but was fairly close. Incidentally, the CA (who also came on reserve at 9am) called in fatigued when we got to PBI. There just happened to be a captain commuting home on that flight that they magically - I'm not sure what the term is here so I'm going to say emergency drafted - to take the flight back. I was tired but felt capable (barely). I guess I was also concerned about the impact of a fatigue call as I basically sat in the crashpad the entire 3 days of reserve except for this last day event. Also, am less than 2 months out of IOE.

Am I out of line when I argued 16 hours is too much duty? Should I have fatigued it? Thoughts? I was pretty tapped when we got to JFK.
No, you handled it perfectly. This is the crap cs pulls without real reserve work rules and why it goes so junior. With just a few small improvements many of us who live in base would bid reserve and let more junior commuters hold lines, but until then....