Old 03-04-2015, 07:13 PM
LR2205
Commercial Pilot

Joined APC: Jul 2010

Although prices vary by the area of the country you live in, $60 seems to be about the going rate nowadays if you go through your local flight school. Only 10 years ago, it was only about half that. God knows what it's going to be 10 years from now but by then I'll be instructing and not in training. I bet it will double again in another 10 years, we're already heading in that direction. Expect to see $100 an hour in the not too distant future, the current rates are cheap compared to what we're gonna see soon. Flight schools just can't make money on the planes anymore. I talked to a flight instructor recently who actually told me his flight school was up to $70 an hour (I live in the northeast, the most expensive part of the country).

The bottom line is this: it's up to you. What good is an expensive instructor who can teach well, but you don't get along? Or vice versa? I've gone through a lot of instructors who I didn't like and finally found one I did like. Now, we're quickly blowing through my training and I'm doing great, all because of good chemistry (and the fact that he teaches well, but that's besides the point). Before I talked to my instructor I talked to several instructors to try and find one that would be a good match. I could tell over the phone that it wasn't a match in each case, didn't always have to fly with them; sometimes you can tell from a person's demeanor (or in person) what to expect if/when you fly together. If they are a d****bag over the phone, chances are they'll be similar in the airplane.

Most people say to take a flight with an instructor before deciding on them. My opinion is, no need, decide it on the ground. You save time, money, and aggravation that way. It was frustrating going through all the instructors I did before I found the right one, but the wait was well worth it. Your training is expensive- and while that engine is running it's all about you- DON'T hesitate to fire your instructor on the drop of a hat. I've done it many times and never looked back.