View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 07:24 PM
The Dominican
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: 747 captain

Originally Posted by Foxtrot View Post
Thanks for the info!When would you recommend the family coming over during training? How long did you have yours stay? I really want my wife and two kids (very young kids) to come and experience Japan but I also live in reality and don't want to be too distracted at the wrong time.
Mind you that I did it 8 years ago so my perception might be off a bit, hopefully one of the guys that have done it recently can correct me if it is necessary.

But I would say that earlier in the course would be best..., just bring them with you from the get go, if you get the apartment it will be comfortable for your wife and your two young ones (although small)
Training at the beginning is not that intense and all you will be doing is the license conversion, air law tests etc...., and pretty much they will give you the necessary tools to pass the tests so that would be an appropriate time to have your family with you.., but when you start SIM training then things get serious because they expect progress quickly in terms of the calls & SOP's..., your concentration should be in that particular area and don't get too upset about not flying the SIM perfectly.., your mission is to get the calls & SOP's down cold, you will get plenty time to refine the flying part later as you will get a plethora of SIM sessions.

At that time.., I would say the latter three months of SIM training, it's best to take care of business without too many distractions.

Good luck