View Single Post
Old 03-06-2015, 07:19 AM
TheJudge
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2014

I love these threads. It's impossible to ever be certain you're making the right call, so I enjoy reading multiple opinions about the subject. I jumped on TERA last year as a 17 year O4, and went straight to a federal government job doing work related to what I did on active duty. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) my invite to interview at Delta came a few months after I was somewhat settled into my new job. I feel like I'm missing a huge opportunity by not interviewing at Delta, but I'm happy to be back on the gov't payroll, home every night, fairly paid and working on another pension. The point is the mil pension changes things. It's an enabler for stomaching 1st year airline pay, but it's just as much of a game changer in a non-airline career if you find yourself going that route. Inflation adjusted annuities are expensive as hell, so be careful what you throw away. If there's any chance you'll hit 50% disability it's even more ridiculous. I'm 39 with essentially a 24 year O5 pension. It would cost around $1.6M to buy a lifetime, inflation adjusted, survivor benefit protected annuity like I have right now. Security is nothing to scoff at in your financial planning. The 20 year pension may not exist forever, so I say stick it out and get it while it lasts.