View Single Post
Old 03-13-2015, 07:11 AM
FDXLAG
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: 767 FO

Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
To prove the slide in wages is a myth is tough jungle. This opinion piece doesn't really help to support that contention.

Globalization is real. It has moved slowly at times but is a steady slide over time. Our wages are coming down and the developing world is coming up, slightly. Not going to debate that or offer proof. I think you need to prove otherwise. Inflation indexes are horribly poor at telling you how much it costs to live today vs. yesterday.
So we have income inequality, anybody think importing 50 million poor people in the last 50 years might have something to do with it? I worked as a roofer and a laborer 35 plus years ago for $6.50 an hour, think my grandkids could get that job now? Si senor because they speak spanish. We have a service economy now, is that because a.) rich white people are mean and hate the middle class, b.) labor, OSHA and environmental regulations make it cheaper to look elsewhere, or c.) we are too busy teaching about oppression or how to slip a condom on a cucumber to worry about math and science?