View Single Post
Old 06-23-2007, 09:01 AM
Rook
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: praying to the saints

Hey Double D,

Here's a post from a guy that went from throwing boxes to flying at FedEx. Keep in mind he was mad qualified...yet he still made some sacrifices to get to where he wanted to go.

I did what you're inquiring about. A little background (sorry in advance for the long post)...

Retired USAF. UAL for 1 1/2 years, furloughed. Consulting work while trying to get back to a flying job. After contacting my USAF friends at FedEx, I decided Purple & Orange was the way to go.

Mid 2004, FedEx would NOT interview furloughed folks (other than US Air on a case by case basis). My sponsor suggested throwing boxes for a period of time (it varies, more on this to follow) and get on board as an internal hire.

Policies change and FedEx is interviewing furloughed folks on a case by case basis. The advantage to being an internal hire is that if you are qualified for a given position and FedEx is hiring into that position, you are guaranteed the interview (provided your record at FedEx to that point is clean).

I applied and was hired as a courier. A better choice for me (more on this later) then being a handler. 7 months later I was called for the interview. 1 month later I recieved the "You're Hired" call. The system works. Some things to consider...

I remained a courier for 4 more months after being hired. FedEx policy states that you stay in a given job for a minumum of 1 year prior to internally switching positions. This was an easy 4 months, as I knew a large carrot resided at the other end of the tunnel.

Again, in my opinion, being a courier is less routine than tossing boxes (handler) at the airport or local station. If you have other employment, being a handler might be a better fit.

Be careful of the following if you take any of these positions...You WILL sign a letter of commitment (LOC) to that particular station/airport. This committment is usually longer than the 1 year FedEx corporate policy (i.e. 18 months, 24 months, etc). While all these commitment time frames are waiverable, the 1 year corporate policy is not typically waived. The station/airport LOC is waiverable, but is at the discretion of your local manager. Get this ironed out prior to signing on the dotted line. I was very up-front with the manager that hired me and when I was hired to fly, there were no surprises/hard feelings. As a matter of fact, I had a great relationship with my co-workers and supervisors and they were all genuinely very happy for me.

During my interview process, I received many compliments/thanks for having been a courier. You certainly gain insight to a side of the company that most of our pilot brethren never see. Plus, I dropped 15 pounds running around as a courier! Stay positive and it is an enjoyable experience.

I couldn't be happier with my career choice. Great company, great group of professional aviators.

Hope this helps.