View Single Post
Old 03-14-2015, 10:13 AM
TheJudge
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2014

Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
Where did JohnBurke say anything about being a minimalist? He didn't.
My point was that only true minimalists have the right to judge the extravagance of others. Everyone else is just some varying degree of extravagant. He didn't say he was a minimalist. I said he wasn't, and I showed why he didn't have the right to lecture someone by saying people with "mature minds" appreciate what they have. By saying it's a mark of maturity to "live within your means" as if people who own expensive cars aren't doing that. Basically by saying he draws the line on what material possessions are and are not reasonable to acquire in his life and in other people's lives.

He repudiated the claim made by kevbo that one must have higher than average pay so he can "flaunt the proceeds."
Kevbo said, "no point to having higher than average pay if you can't flaunt the proceeds". He didn't say one "must have" higher pay "so that" he can flaunt the proceeds. I thought JohnBurke overreacted to that clearly light hearted comment when he lectured the guy about maturity and living within your means. So I lectured him right back, lol.

Of course, only you can judge that.
That's right. I'm TheJudge of everything.