View Single Post
Old 06-23-2007, 06:25 PM
Jetjok
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Retired

One of those big mothers pulled in right behind us while we were delivering supplies to the troops in Kuwait. Since we were a military charter, and it was the military guys unloading all the jets, we had a few hours to sit there and enjoy the moment. After bringing a bunch or our excess food to the guys manning the M60 gun emplacements, I took a stroll over to the Russian jet and climbed the ladder to the flight deck (I'd not recommend the climb if you're afraid of heights, as it was a loooong way to the top, on a normal rung ladder), to say Hi, to the crew. It's a gigantic aircraft, but very out of date. It even had two small rubber bladed fans mounted on the glareshield, like the one in my fathers' 1947 Buick. Behind the two pilot seats, was a fairly large steel table that was welded to the floor, used, I guess by their navigator. And the smell of tobacco was unbelievable. It also had a crane on an I-beam that ran the full length of the fuselage. I invited them to come tour our MD-11 and they thoroughly enjoyed it. We all ate the remainder of our food and then, after about a 3 hour wait, the military guys showed up to unload the jet, and the Russian guys left for their own cockpit. It was a fun day. Long, but fun, as after we were unloaded, we flew over to Dubai for a few days off.