Old 03-18-2015, 07:20 PM
Andy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: guppy CA

Originally Posted by N9373M View Post
I am also opposed to the big brother approach, but from what MikeF16 describes, in this one case, that person needs to be checked out. One does not adapt to "waking up" every 30-40 seconds, nor do they probably know they are suffering from it or even realize they are "waking up". I use the term "waking up" loosely. During an apnea, the O2 sats drop and the brain fires a message to get more oxygen. The person is not consciously aware of this.

It should not threaten his career, simply get his OSA treated.

I had OSA, did not know it (family doc suspected), had the sleep studies, did the CPAP and finally surgery to correct it. Occasionally, I would dream of being suffocated, and truly wake up gasping for air.
Let's take this 'waking up every 30-40 seconds' to the next silliness. Any pilot who has a colicky child should be required to stay in a hotel room so that they can get uninterrupted sleep.

No pilot can stay at any hotel that does not have totally soundproof rooms so that they get undisturbed sleep.

No pilot should be permitted to consume alcohol because it's been proven to disrupt your sleep. All pilots will be required to take antabuse.

Ah, the Big Brother silliness. George Orwell was just a couple of decades too early. I'm trying to shop for a top loading washer - thanks to .gov regulations, it's impossible to find one that gets your clothes clean. Thanks, Big Brother.

More regulations to fix nonexistent problems is always a good idea. In a totalitarian society. And anyone who favors this OSA silliness is getting the government that they deserve.