Thread: Spirit of NKS
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2015, 08:32 AM
Qotsaautopilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2010

Originally Posted by JasonLeonard View Post
I hear ya on that (working hard). Before, MOST people got a single decent JA a month with a trip RLS and called it good and set back on cruise control at 100+ hours for the month. Then as the union tightened down on these voluntary JAs something happened. People began being compelled to pick up in order to still have the 100 hours of credit. In order to do so they had to pick up tons of little crappy paying trips at straight pay, not one decent trip at 200%. And then.... open time disappeared. And then I ran because I was ticked I had to pick up red eyes etc to cover what was typically a cake walk to get 100 hours. I didn't depend on that credit until my wife lost her job. Thankfully that difficult time is over.

During that same period, yes, there were folks who's thirst could not be quenched. 200 hours was not uncommon for them. I sure would like to get paid 200 hours. Not going to lie.
Or instead of that we could just get paid what we are supposed to. For me to make the same as a legacy pilot of my same longevity and seat I have to credit about 130hrs every month to make what he makes on guarantee not even counting retirement

And even in the "easy days" of a jrm and release every month to get to 100hrs a pilot would still have to be willing to work on his days off even if he gets his original working days off w the rls. That's no way to live for most people. We have families. I want to bid lines I like and try to swap if I don't get it. But waiting by the phone on all my days off and not leaving town so I can jump when scheduling says how high is complete bull. Fair compensation for an honest days work and go home to use the boat and coach the soccer team. That's all I want.