View Single Post
Old 03-27-2015, 08:20 AM
gloopy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2010
Position: window seat

Originally Posted by Flycameron View Post
Has anyone been hired recently with over 10,000 total hours? I had a friend in almost the same boat as you, he had 12,000 hours was a LCA but couldn't get the interview so he applied at American and was hired. I had heard that military guys average time is around 2500 and civilian guys hired average around 6500. Someone on the inside might have more accurate numbers but that's what I remember. I heard a rumor that AK doesn't like too many hours because your not as traininable, not sure if that so true. Just curious how many guys have been hired with over 10,000 hours as of late?
There's a myth going around that DL has a hard or soft flight time maximum. I don't think thats true. Anecdotaly, most pilots hired will almost always have a lot less than that. The military pilots are usually way less than that, and most civilian pilots are too. I saw one stat on average times from the last year of hiring.

The least was about 2300 hours. The most was over 25,000 hours. The average was over 8500 hours. When you consider how many mil pilots DL is hiring and how the majority of them probably have well under 5000, to have an average of 8500 requires a lot of greater than 10,000 hour pilots.

I don't think its a negative at all. Reports that it is are greatly exagerated.