View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 07:19 PM
HIFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: 777 Captain in Training

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
It takes timing and depends upon the person.

I had plenty of peers whose dads were well placed in an airline and as a result were able to get hired at a legacy while very young. Who you know and who you are play a major role in success in certain paths in life. If your dad owns a chain of furniture stores then be a furniture salesmen. If your mother is a legacy airline captain then be an airline pilot. It makes life much easier to have well placed allies and to stay within the conduit of opportunity.

"Don't follow your passion but rather have your passion follow you." - Mike Rowe

In summary - Go where there is opportunity for you. If you are just another nameless suburban kid with a pile of school debt to finance a long shot aviation career perhaps you should reevaluate?

SKyhigh
Me plain country kid whos dad was not a airline pilot who was smart enough not to finance a career and paid as I went. I worked hard and made smart choices and played the long game as I paid as I went and it worked out. Many out there tried to shorten the time between initial quals to legacy pilot by paying big bucks to go to a aviation mill college. May of us knew that was not a smart move and did not.