View Single Post
Old 04-02-2015, 10:48 AM
DC8DRIVER
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: 747

Originally Posted by vroll1800 View Post
More germane to this thread, what will it take for DHL to cry "Uncle" and change their business model of playing one contractor against another?
I don't believe that DHL will ever cry "Uncle". The four largest DHL carriers in the US are all in the same union and union leaders are doing their best to work together for the advantage of all within some very limited options. The bottom line is that DHL will pay higher wages when we all successfully fight for them.

So 2 B767 Captains left. OK, did Atlas cancel several flights and have ABX pick up the slack ? Or are there 4 or more money hungry Atlas Captains willing to pick up the slack of the departed 2 on their days off ?
Show me an airline pilot who is not money hungry. Of course the trips are going out to open time. Some are getting covered by pilots volunteering and as I pointed out some of those are not getting covered.

Is DHL content to take a certain amount of reliability hit for scrambling to put piled up freight on several px airlines belly freight ? What is the tipping point there ?
Again, I don't pretend to know the exact answer.

I'll believe there is a true pilot shortage at the DHL system level when the suits from Germany see fit to hold a night sort pilot cafeteria meeting, and declare that they're going to treat their contractors as valued team members, and that their goal for all affected employees would be to view flying for a DHL carrier as a career equal to Fed Ex and UPS in compensation and benefits.
Well then, by that definition there will never, ever, ever, ever be a pilot shortage.