View Single Post
Old 04-02-2015, 10:16 PM
GrassLandings
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2015
Position: E-175

Originally Posted by LR2205 View Post
Since you were working on your endorsement that means you were not yet endorsed in the aircraft yet at the point of the accident. I don't think you can be PIC of an aircraft for which you are not type rated or endorsed to fly in. That being said, your instructor was PIC of that aircraft. It will affect him for sure. Not sure how it will affect you though.
This. Plus, seems like the FAA has already done what they normally do. Since they had the CFI retake his checkride and he was PIC, hardly talked to you, Id say its safe to say you are in the clear for any future happenings with this accident.

Are you going to be a commercial/professional pilot?

(Take a deep breath, I have good news compared to your CFI. Even he/she can follow this below actually, and be just fine in todays market)

I ask because in future job applications you may be asked "Have you ever been involved in an aircraft accident or incident?". You would be wise to tell the truth, involving this incident/accident. Since the FAA talked to you there is a record of it. Even more than 5 years from now, it can easily be found. (Tell the truth, employers dont like people who hide stuff knowingly when asked a direct question)
In the eyes of the FAA you are %100 not liable. I mean, it was your first lesson or two in a retractable, and your CFI didnt make sure the gear was down. The mud isnt on your hands here. End of story.
But....Yes you were the student, not type rated or endorsed... However you were a licensed pilot in a single engine aircraft, and could have prevented the accident.
This sort of thing wont negatively affect you in the future. Easily explainable, plus you can explain how you learned a valuable lesson you wont soon forget, and no violations. Just dont hide it. I know I wouldnt.

You are good to go.

(Edit: I see now that they did not talk to you, but this advice still stands IMO since you were in the aircraft)