View Single Post
Old 04-07-2015, 08:01 AM
Route66
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2014

Originally Posted by justjack View Post
I disagree with, well, EVERYTHING that you just wrote. The vast majority of pilots” follow the SOPs” do our jobs and go home and enjoy our families. There are not, "1500 union busters hating 3500 union busters.” This web board paints a statically biased picture. It’s just the nature of the beast and when we come here we take everything posted with a ton of salt.
We need unions – strong unions. If we had, had strong, centralized unions and minimum certification standards established immediately following deregulation, we would not have been hosed as bad as we were. The future is not at all guaranteed for airline labor. As far as the company having “your back” – They have a bull’s-eye right on it. When things get rough, you will be the very first place they come looking. What you should be telling new hires is that they represent red ink at American. (This is not necessarily a bad thing as long as you don’t think that you or your profession has some intrinsic value beyond the math.) Act accordingly. Yes, do your job. Enjoy your family but also never forget.
You have a right to disagree. So do I. I choose to join or not join organizations in the U.S. Not so with labor unions....the ONLY organization other than government where they can take your money. Those days are ending soon and I know the APA doesn't have my back as long as they treat us differently than themselves. Just like the TWA pilots, the new hire pilots seniority IS for sale sometime in the future. Just like the West pilots think they deserve more value in their seniority than ours our "profession" is the one with the targets on our backs and it is because OF the unions...not the Company who pays me my check. Not the union.

Which brings me to this question: Why does the employees at APA need a union there if the APA is such a "benevolent" employer?