View Single Post
Old 04-09-2015, 12:55 PM
Timbo
Runs with scissors

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: Going to hell in a bucket, but enjoying the ride .

I don't like to highlight the numbers, but I'm usually the last guy to touch the paper. The reason I don't like to highlight is, once someone has done that, (usually the first guy to touch it) the next guy who looks at the paper will only look at the highlighted part. I'd rather all 4 of us independently check all the numbers and then decide which numbers we are going to use, then we talk about it.

On the 777 we have lots of 'gotcha' stuff, like is it: APU to Packs, Thrust Bump, flaps 5 or 15, wet or dry, and more, so I look at the gross wt., winds, runway condition, and pad, before I decide which 'reduced' power setting I want to use, and I like a 10,000lb pad, because I've seen too many rampers make 10,000 mistakes on their math.

Then I want all 4 of us to agree on it, before we load it. But on most of my trips, from either DXB or JNB to ATL, it's going to be a full power take off, APU to packs if it's warm, and I'm going to set 174 for flaps 15, or 184 for flaps 5 for V2. If that's not on the paper, something's wrong. Kind of like on the 757 when you just know 142 is going to work.