Old 04-10-2015, 09:43 PM
B727DRVR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Standing in front of the tank with a shopping bag
Question

Originally Posted by MR JT8D View Post
Go to the FAA. You'll be fired and ruin your career with a termination on your record, and that's exactly what your employer is banking on . The PRIA record laws are being changed quite soon so employers can't hold this over your head to get away with it.
Hey Mr. JT8D,

Could you go into greater depth about the change to "Pariah" (PRIA). I remember when it came out, our scumbag D.O. at the 135 carrier I flew for was very excited... He intimated that if we were not "team players"(Pilots who were willing to go over gross, below mins, delay write ups, ignore flight and duty times, and various other evils), or Tango Pops as we called them, he said that somehow might end up in our training records.

In the early 2000's, when I was lobbying in D.C. on behalf of my pilot group and ALPA to open up the FFDO program for cargo pilots, I stopped by AOPA headquarters and tried to explain the deep dark underbelly of flying that is somewhere between AOPA and ALPA. No one at AOPA or the lofty halls of congress ever imagined that PRIA would ever be used as a weapon to coerce pilots to break FAR's and do unsafe things to avoid a termination or a retribution checkride failure on their record, but it happens all the time. This is because no one fights for 135 pilots on Capitol Hill, and until those pilots are represented and have lobbyists, nothing will change and pilots will have to continue to walk the same tightrope that their 121 breatheren did in the 1920's.

If this is true about greater protections for pilots in PRIA, then it is fantastic news.