View Single Post
Old 04-13-2015, 04:37 AM
teamflyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2013
Position: BE20/BE02 Left Seat

Originally Posted by PA Slammer View Post
The AF 25K bonus is only active duty, I.E. full time military... not part time Air National Guard. Unless you get an AGR job (full time at a guard unit). The AGR positions are a highly coveted position though. Very tough to come by.

My guard unit is "requiring" our guys to deploy for 60 day rotations to the desert now. Used to be 30... and 15 years ago. Guarantee you'll see 120 day rotations before too long.

There are pluses and minuses to gaining your time in the military. When it comes down to it, you have to ask yourself, "Do you want to be a pilot?" or "Do you want to be a military pilot?". Yes you can do both if part time in the guard, but there is a lot of give and take, sacrifice if you will, when you commit to Uncle Sam.

If you're end goal is to be an airline pilot at a major airline, you might be better off pursuing the regionals to gain your time. You'll get there a lot faster, with less asked from your personal life.

FWIW...
Thanks for the input to all. PA Slammer, I've had an itch to join the military since high school, but to be straight the secure airline life is my ultimate objective. And I'm not too sure if I can be away for 120 days straight, might be hard on the young family.
I think my decision will come down to which regional to pick from. In my case, bigger the better. Most people seem to suggest choose any, but not to commute. Which is alright for now because I'm willing to pack up and go.

TF