Thread: Compass updates
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2015, 07:24 AM
EuroMexPilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2014
Position: Bent Over

Originally Posted by Flightsoffusion View Post
Thanks for the reply. Someone had mentioned that there was no reserve out of training going to Lax. If this is true, would a two hour commute while holding a line be more practical? The commute is actually more like 1:45 but still close to two. Not really clear on the difference between reserve and holding a line other than one is flying and the other is sitting idle to cover for others? Because I couldn't afford a place in LA and commuting back and forth to LAX daily wouldn't make a lot of sense, I'm just trying to get an idea if it makes sense to commit to a position if I know I couldn't complete responsibly. Thank you.
I am currently also living about 2 hours away. As previously stated, the 2 hour call-out is almost impossible to do from home. you do have 20 minutes to respond, so you could get a head start when they call if you already have the bags in the car and your uniform on while you wait.
That being said, I don't know how it is here, but at my previous airline I NEVER got just 2 hours. Usually I was assigned the night before, or for later in the day.
As far as holding a line, you will have a schedule set from the month before. You can bid for things such as show time, and finish times. Therefore, if you don't want to drive at 3 in the morning (although there is very little traffic and usually they are finished cleaning up the drunk accidents by then) you can bid for call out times after noon. Of course, your seniority will dictate what you will actually be awarded. I think the worst thing for LAX would be like a 8am-10am call out. You can bump that 2 hour drive up to 3 really easy.
As for me, I'll most likely bid the early call outs and get the drive going before the rest of the crazy people are on the road.
Good luck!!