View Single Post
Old 04-14-2015, 02:09 PM
CloudShredder
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014
Position: Canadian Alluminum Tubing Assistant Transporter

Originally Posted by TheTransporter View Post
They already gave away larger jets to another carrier. Skywest starts flying E175s in July for Alaska. Alaska pilots seem pretty quiet about it. They had the chance to vote in scope and caved for more money and merger protection. If ALPA really gave two ****s about keeping it in house they would have secured it. If larger jets get outsourced, it is Alaskas' pilots fault. You as a group voted yes.
I read this on another forum a few months ago from an AS pilot. I don't think the Alaska pilots have much to be upset about.

While I would love to see more Alaska pilots flying these routes with AAG-owned airplanes, I think it's rather narrow-minded for us as a pilot group to say, "if I can't fly it, no one can!" There's revenue out there and the company is going for it. If it increases profits, shores up paying passengers, boosts the company's position, then that's good enough for me. This is not a matter of SkyWest "taking" Alaska or Horizon jobs. These are new routes and the current fleet and pilot group at Alaska are tapped out to the max. They're training new pilots as fast as the oh-so-encumbered training program can and we're getting new jets as they come available from Boeing.

Alaska is not interested in buying any other fleet type. They're sold on the one fleet-type concept.