View Single Post
Old 04-17-2015, 06:01 PM
block30
Bracing for Fallacies

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: In favor of good things, not in favor of bad things

Originally Posted by UAL T38 Phlyer View Post
I think the days of getting in to the military using alternative testing are over.

After 25 years of using the standard plates or books, the Air Force switched to a computer-based system. I could argue that it is less accurate than the books, because who knows if each computer monitor screen is perfectly calibrated for color?

Be that as it may, they switched about 7 years ago.

Holy *****: it ain't easy. And it isn't just me, it's everyone saying that.

I think the only place you will see the traditional books, or the alternative lantern test, is civil-only.

Waivers? My brother had an Air Force pilot slot in 1980; he didn't pass red-green. They tried to get him a waiver; no-go.

I doubt it would be more lenient today.

Funny side-note: I flew OV-10 Broncos as a Lt with a crusty Major (Callsign "Chicken") who had flown in Vietnam. He was the most decorated FAC (Forward Air Controller) of the war.

Why?

He was color-blind, and fudged his way in. He could see AAA gun emplacements no one else could see, because the camouflage netting "...stood out like a sore thumb..."

Normal-vision guys saw trees. He said "That doesn't look right, must be guys that need to be blown up."

He was responsible for more AAA gun-kills than anyone else. Undoubtably saved a lot of lives.

When I was waiting in the lobby for my United interview, I saw Chicken walk by, as a Captain!
That's one guy I'm glad was on our team (he's retired now).
Does any other color deficient pilot here feel like their vision is superior to "normal" color vision pilots in ways? Kind of like the story above?

For example, I was able to once find a website that showed an image color "lackies" could see, but color normal people could not...sure enough I picked out the image immediately, my wife saw nothing. I wish I bookmarked that site so people don't think I'm crazy. I also feel like my night vision is really good. I have no way to quantify if I'm better than average, but it wouldn't surprise me.