View Single Post
Old 04-17-2015, 07:22 PM
KC10 FATboy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Legacy FO

Originally Posted by Dan64456 View Post
If you currently don't have a job on the line, I'd recommend going with the FAA route, which is the OCVT/MFT

First you must fail any of the FAA color vision tests at your medical and then call the FAA stating that you want to take the Operational Color Vision Test / Medical Flight Test.

The first part is an ATC tower light gun test.. 6 colors from 1000, and then 1500 feet. (You can practice this at any towered field, just call them ahead of time and use google maps for the distance measurement. Practice at least a few times, and right before the actual test.. certain light guns have different looking greens or whites.. they will tell you where the test is, so try to use the same airport). You will also be tested on Sectional charts and/or WACs, or maybe the IFR Enroute charts.. basic color identification. Study the hell out of those and you should be fine.. (make sure to study them under all different types of lighting, including office fluorescent, natural, etc.)

If you pas that first part, you are covered for Third class.

The second party is the MFT.
You fly and they test you on the PAPI, taxiway, runway lights, beacons, lights on other planes, fields, terrain, grass colors, instrument colors on the plane, etc.
Part of it is a day flight and the other part is at night.. Practice that with a color normal person a bunch of times..

If you pass, you get a Letter of Evidence aka LoE (no marks on the medical.. you just bring the letter to your AME each time and you're golden.. no more color vision testing).. Note that it isn't called a SODA.

The full write-up is here: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...ch/item52/amd/

I'm actually going this route because I'm sick of agonizing about finding an alternative test every year (6 months over 40), and I also hear they might take away a bunch of alternatives in favor of leaving the more strict tests (only a few of them) along with the newer computer CAD color test (which is harder, trust me).. If you fail those, then same as above.. you can take the OCVT/MFT. In the next few years I bet that will be the standard..

I have my test on Thursday if the weather cooperates.. Pass or fail it will allow me to move forward with an aviation career, or continue my software/programmer career. Either way no more worrying about it and to me that's the only way forward. The current standard purposely keeps you on a witch hunt in my opinion.

Any questions feel free to PM or post here.. I've been battling this for years and I know the ins and outs of the standard, research, etc.

Good luck.
No more worrying?

The FAA and the AMEs can change the procedures and tests at anytime in the future.

The part that worries me about what you're trying to do is "no more color vision testing." That's ridiculous! There are conditions you can get which cause someone to go color blind. Yes, color blindness is usually hereditary but not always

Personally I think you are making a big mistake. I would not want to fly with you. Nor would I want to put my family on an airplane in which you were flying.