Thread: Spirit of NKS
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2015, 11:31 AM
chairmanmow
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2012

Originally Posted by gonyon View Post
+1000. Why people are so hell bent on working their their days off kills me
I am really tired of hearing this argument. I know many who want to get back 150% for OT (including myself), but I know none that want to trade other stuff to get it. That is not the issue.

1. Why the feeding frenzy for OT at 100%? Because many of our lines are only built to guarantee and, at what are subpar rates, many feel the need to supplement income. It has nothing to do with WANTING to work on days off, which I am just going to go ahead and call a retarded assumption. Without getting an outside job, or joining the training department, the only way to do that is to pick up at 100% or hope for a JA at 200%. Do you see another option?

2. If someone does need to pick up extra flying on a day off, they should be compensated for giving up their own time. As someone said previously, that is the reward for such and most airlines offer it. I don't know why someone would want to argue against this when it is fairly standard. Don't look only at industry standard pay rates, look at the entire package. We want an industry standard compensation package.

3. I continually hear the argument that we should go for pay rates and bite our tongue on the rest for now because, "The longer the negotiation takes, that is just money out of our pockets." That is what a retroactive pay agreement is for. Want to know more? Go talk to the other airlines that have successfully implemented it, the most recent of which is American.