View Single Post
Old 04-19-2015, 01:30 PM
RockyBoy
Doesn't Get Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007

Originally Posted by Check Essential View Post
The QOL ship has sailed.

There are simply not enough guys who care about quality of life.
Time off has clearly become secondary among Delta pilots.
The majority wants to work to the FARs.

The best thing we could possibly do would be to bring back some sort of cap.
Very few want that though. They see it as a pay cut if they can only fly 75 hours instead of 90.

The fact that they could be making more and working less by faster advancement to captain or larger equipment doesn't seem to matter. They somehow don't believe it.

As mentioned by someone earlier, the people this is really killing is the commuters. I don't see how anybody commutes that isn't VERY senior in category. Coming in the day prior, even occasionally, is just such a huge chunk of time out of your life. Nobody seems to realize that you are essentially WORKING during that time. For a payrate of $0. Plus you pay the hotel or crashpad.

BRING BACK A CAP !!
I disagree.....those who work to the cap do so to make ends meet and be able to save enough to send kids to college and have more than Ramen noodles in retirement. So a cap will just make certain people struggle to do what they thought they were going to be able to do with this career 10 years ago. I know we can talk about poor decisions all day, but we never talked about poor decisions prior to bankruptcy and lost pensions.

How about we restore the profession so guys can make a living, have a nice house, maybe an airplane or boat, send the kids to something other than a community college, and not have to sell everything they have when they retire? If we could do that on 75 hours, I'll bet very few would fly over 75 hours. That is the problem, not a cap.....if you bring back a cap, bring back the hourly rates and work rules that went with it, not just the cap alone. Only trust fund kids want the cap only back.