View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 07:53 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Exclamation

Originally Posted by cbire880 View Post
Probably won't ever affect TSA background checks, but if you ever submit for a DoD security clearance, expunged doesn't mean its gone. They can always find stuff about you if they want. The key is that you are trustworthy. I have an underage drinking that was plead down to disorderly conduct. I always report it as exactly that. If they ask about law enforcement issues, I bring it up. The key is that your comments and application match the background check.
This is true. The federal government (various agencies) take "snapshots" of state and local criminal records at regular intervals. Unfortunately for some folks, if they get their record expunged later, the federal copy of that record does NOT go away. For security purposes the fed is concerned with whether or not you did it...they don't give a rat's @ss if it was plead down or expunged.

Most employers would never have access to certain federal records...but the airline security issue brings things into the national security realm, where things like labor law are NA. I am not certain what info the airlines get when they request the mandatory federal background check, but there are numerous horror stories. The hiring manager will interupt your new hire class, and ask to speak to you in his office...and you will never return to class (I have witnessed this twice).

I would suggest that if the original offense was mild (ie not armed robbery) and occured when you were younger it is probably best to come clean and explain it as a learning experience. That way it won't be hanging over your head in the future. Remember that if you get terminated in ground school after the background checks you will have been fired from a 121 employer for lying about your background...you will almost certainly never recover from that.

Last edited by rickair7777; 06-28-2007 at 08:07 AM.