View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Geronimo4497
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Formerly Avantair

I currently fly the PC-12, but have flown the 200 in the past (owner sold his 1986 200 to buy a 2002 PC-12 if that tells you anything).

Both machines are wonderful to fly and have their own virtues and vices. I personally do not get worked up over the single engine factor. Having over 2000 hours in PC-12s now with only a generator 1 failure (backup gen 2 was fine) makes one appreciate the reliability of the PT-6. The 200 had all sorts of electrical problems when we owned it, but I think that is just common to that one machine and factoring in how old it was. The big factor for the owner was the operating costs and maintenance costs. I wish I could give you a firm percentage on how much cheaper the airplane is to operate, but not being a numbers guy prevents me from doing that. Support for the PC-12 is fantastic, as is proven by the top praises Pilatus receives year after year in relation to customer support.

Fuel control problems: This was an issue up to about a year ago. It was common to the PC-12 only because of the MOR installation (Manual Override) that was causing the Ng to roll back unannounced. There were about 5 airplanes that had the Ng roll back, but they were either flown on the MOR uneventfully, or dead sticked causing no injuries (but there was some damage to the South Bend airplane by landing on Main street and meeting a telephone pole with the right wing )
If you run a comparison between B-200 and PC-12 accidents from about 1995, you will find the accident synopsis's an interesting (but sometimes painful) read. The fuel controllers have been modified across the entire fleet and there have been no problems since. The factory paid for this mod entirely, BTW.

As to flying the airplane from Arizona to the east cost, it can be done. I have seen SEZ to BED been done before and they landed with about 450 (about a 50 minute reserve) lbs of gas. The weather was good on the BED end, so I was not that worried about it but had it been lower, I probably would have stopped for gas. My best was Bangor, ME to Stuart, FL non stop. My butt was sore, but we did it with plenty of gas above the reserve line.

It really is an incredible airplane from a pilot's point of view but the passengers love the huge quiet cabin and 'real' lavatory the the King Air does not offer. I really love the massive cargo door and flat floor cabin that does not have the wing spar running through it. Multi time would be good for the log book for sure, but the owner probably cares what is right for them financially and practically. Good luck in the hunt for the right machine!