View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 05:34 AM
Sluggo_63
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2005

Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
I was referring to Tennessee State Senator Mark Norris of Collierville, a Republican who sponsored the bill in the Tennessee Senate, who said the deal is needed to keep FedEx from moving its refueling operations from Memphis to another state. He said, "It's just a fact of jet aircraft. It's just real easy to put down one state short and refuel."

Well, it's not a fact. If it were so easy, we'd be doing it all the time. In fact, let's look at another quote from the second article....
Tony, I wasn't commenting on whether it was right or wrong, I was just saying that you were incredulous that I state senator could be so gullible that he would believe that it's easy to land a state short and refuel. We all know how horribly wrong legislators and the media are when it comes to aviation issues. One of his staffers probably told him that this bill was designed to cap FedEx's aviation fuel cap because they (FedEx) was threatening to get their fuel elsewhere and not use Tennessee fuel. In his mind, he equated that to stopping somewhere to land. We all know that FedEx is talking about tankering fuel where appropriate.

Whether FedEx has a moral responsibility to the state of Tennessee to help fund aviation is another issue, but not the one I was talking about here.