Thread: Skywest
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 09:36 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
Wild ass question: chances of a new hire getting SFO right away? Can I request it as part of being hired, getting it in writing? I am a returning 121 older pilot, not a hobbyist, but have to stay in the bay area. Commuting is really not an option. Thought of Compass where I'd supposedly be a near street hire captain, but would have to commute to LAX. Also, Skywest needs to do the $30-$36 hour first year pay to get me in. Considering the business acumen I've seen, heard, or read about the regionals, my base request and money expectations probably wouldn't line up, no matter how badly they need to get any pilots in the door.
Nobody will guarantee a base, because that would violate their seniority system, ie if a senior pilots wants an opening in SFO they cannot ignore him and give it to a new-hire.

It was common in the past for folks to go to mesa, hoping for a certain equipment/base and then simply walk out of training if they didn't get it. You could always do that. A better option, given all the movement, would be take what you get and then bid into SFO in a month or three. If the music stops for some reason and you got stuck in MSP you could always quit.