View Single Post
Old 04-25-2015, 06:25 PM
AF2Navy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2011
Default 2 cents

Originally Posted by Scraggly Heron View Post
Right now I'm looking at 2 reserve units: one flying RPAs and one flying smaller twin engine aircraft. I like the missions of both, and both have good leadership and good people. If you were in my shoes, and were fortunate enough to be offered a job by both, which would you chose? (I have friends in both units that will vouch for me, so this is a possibility)

The RPA unit has a growing mission and offers the opportunity to sleep in your own bed at the end of the day. QOL is likely to be slightly better than a manned aircraft unit, and the schedule is likely to be more flexible. I would not deploy unless I really wanted to. The downside is that if it takes 1-2 years to get hired by the airlines I'll be paying for my own flying the whole time.

The twin engine aircraft unit mission is my favorite type of flying, and I would be getting paid to build hours and maintain currency. Did I mention that I would be flying? The down side is less flexibility and more time away from home.

In the long run doing your "favorite job" will pay dividends.

Would you be able to gain IP status quickly and leverage that for more home station training and less time spent OCOUNS?