Old 04-26-2015, 08:52 AM
MikeF16
Otto

Joined APC: Jul 2013
Position: Turkish Pile Driver

Originally Posted by gloopy View Post
They are both foreign oil lackeys. One holds their hands like a child and the other bows deeply to them. No difference. However, the current admin has been incredibly hostile to sunni rulers, even the relatively secular ones. Its borderline scorched earth, and the emerati are surrounded in it. They have to know the next "Arab spring" is always right around the corner. They are the ones with a dire, desperate, pathetically codependent need for our perpetual babysitting services. If they tried their lame tantrum on us that they tried on Canada, they'd be in a world of hurt. They have zero leverage. None.
Without going into specifics, I promise that you are badly mistaken in regard to the leverage they have. Just look at the assets we have in-country. Look at the proximity to Iran. Look at the complete lack of viable alternative locations.

That said, it is a MAD situation and IMO neither country will do anything to disturb the status quo. Our leadership will not humiliate the rulers of Qatar and the UAE by siding with a profitable US airline industry regardless of what the long view holds. I hope I'm wrong.