Old 04-27-2015, 08:53 AM
k1600gt
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2015

Originally Posted by bedrock View Post
Get a PPL first, so you can judge your aptitude and desire to fly, before you plunk down serious change at ATP's. The biggest problem with ATP is in a fast paced program, you don't have time to internalize what you learned. How fast you internalize is the question. ATP dispatchers will treat you like dirt and customer service is bad. They have an attitude that you are the pilot, we are the company, so we tell you what to do---not you are the customer, how can we please you.

I only did their CAPT program in 2003 (35 hrs multi-IFR) after I was out of aviation for a while and applying for a job which required multi-engine currency and good IFR skills. I flew ATP's planes over half the country in mostly IFR. Dispatch had me running around last minute scrambling for enroute charts and approach plates as they kept changing my route, so i was delayed hrs trying to find an FBO on field that sold charts and which was open on Sunday evening. Keep in mind, this airport was big and I had no car, so it was miles of running on foot. Then they yelled at me on the phone, when I as late. They had good, well maintained planes and the other ATP student was a good pilot. But this was after I had 1200 hrs of experience. If you put the work into it, that means study, study, study AND you can keep up with the pace, I think it can work well. You get gobs of multi-time in a real world environment, flying their planes hundreds of miles in all weathers (not icing). No other school I know of gives you the opportunity to get that experience and confidence. Get the PPL elsewhere first, though.
Thank you for the advice. The more I have thought about it, the more I am leaning towards getting my PPL first. I'm trying to resist jumping on what looks like the fastest route instead of the best route, this is the career I want now that I'm winding down my first one. I want the beast quality training I can get, espescially since I'm shelling out so much money to get into a career that pays so low to start.