View Single Post
Old 04-27-2015, 09:24 AM
Benwhaa
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2015
Position: C-12U

Originally Posted by teamflyer View Post
I want to know if the air national guard is for me?
is there a service requirement to stay with them for 10 to 20 years?
i heard the army requires people to make a commitment of 10-20 years...
i fly part time for a medevac carrier, have 1500tt and recent upgrade to left seat on the king air
my goal is to get to any major airline...

Also, which AAG regional has the best flow/progress towards AA?
envoy/psa/piedmont?

i have a shiny jet syndrome, so I would prefer the bigger jets like the crj900 over piedmont's dash's....

also, i am finishing up some credits from university full time at the moment...

If you already have 1500TT, and almost done with your collage, stay away from military...

I started out in the Active Army to gain flight time and educational bennies, got out with about 2000TT after 7 years, missed the military and then went ARNG in 2001. Been deployed, flown different aircraft and gained some valuable experience, have some lifetime friends too (most all from active duty though), all good stuff.

However the bad side is, while in the NG I was pursuing a airline career as well, during this time I have flown for a regional, and corporate. As I look back I see areas that I made mistakes in and areas where the military may have interfered with my main career (airlines), now I sit here looking to apply back to the airlines and start over at a much lower seniority than what I could of already had.

so long story short if you have your time and schooling, focus on one main career, either stay fully civilian, or if you have to scratch that military itch, then go full-time active with them.

In this day and age, I wouldn't try to do both again, just my 2 cents, others mileage may differ...