Old 04-27-2015, 10:24 AM
bedrock
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: ERJ, CA

Originally Posted by k1600gt View Post
Thank you for the advice. The more I have thought about it, the more I am leaning towards getting my PPL first. I'm trying to resist jumping on what looks like the fastest route instead of the best route, this is the career I want now that I'm winding down my first one. I want the beast quality training I can get, espescially since I'm shelling out so much money to get into a career that pays so low to start.
As a sunset career, flying for the airlines, even regional, isn't bad. Since you aren't relying on the airline for income, it becomes a "hobby" if you will, and you can simply leave if it doesn't suit you. Also, the future now is much better than in 2003. Back then, training was cheaper, but you literally had to risk your life flying boxes around in the dead of night in many cases, just to build time--and the pay? 20K. And that was after 2 yrs of instructing for peanuts as well.

Now, you go into a regional which is MUCH safer. Especially if everyone needs 1500 hrs to get there. If you have the money I would recommend learning tailwheel and a few hrs of aerobatics or at least unusual attitude training. These will make you better than the average pilot mill graduate. The problem with the modern way of teaching pilots how to fly only to become airline pilots is that they become operators, not truly understanding what they are doing or understanding aerodynamics. Most don't know how to use a rudder properly either. Hopefully, the 1500 hr requirement will address that.