Thread: Skywest
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2015, 03:28 PM
Nevets
Banned

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: EMB 145 CPT

Originally Posted by skypilot35 View Post
If Skywest were to unionize I've no doubt the pilot contract negotiated would be an industry leading contract. We would be the best compensated regional in the industry and then be undercut by our regional brothers on every RFP that came out. So, while the bragging rights of having a great contract, which you currently have, would be a nice talking point, having flying awarded to the company you're working for is the ultimate goal. We are still getting flying awarded and ideally the best way to continue have that happen is by providing an excellent product at or slightly above the median price point. Currently, that is what Skywest Airlines does. Yes we have issues with our pilot contract. Yes the negotiating process is frustrating and slow. But for the most part the conditions here are good and at this point in time I think the THREAT of a union outweighs the benefits of a union. That WILL change just not sure when.
There is nothing that forces a unionized pilot group to go on strike in order to try to get the industry leading contract. Your pay rates may be ok but your work rules need huge improvements. Nothing stops a unionized pilot group from focusing on certain things in their contract negotiations, like work rules. Every time I hear and read these things against skywest not going union, it always sounds and feels like a cop out and poor excuse to me. Every issue and concern that I've heard can be addressed or does not apply. Anyway, I think that the concessionary deals are over now. Ever since PDT voted theirs in, all other regionals have INCREASED their pilot costs with bonuses or improvements.

There is an illusion going on and its being perpetrated by management. I've worked at a non-union carrier. There is a difference between the two. Sometimes its just a matter of not know what you don't know. Anyway, being a unionized pilot group is so much more than just having a contract. And thats part of what people don't know.

Originally Posted by skypilot35 View Post
Back your statement up with facts. How many regionals does Skywest undercut in cost?

How many regionals who are unionized are cheaper? Here some facts for you since you seem unable to come up with any:

Crew cost as percentage of hourly (non-fuel) operating cost that companies that have reported.
ERJ140/145
Republic - 23.2%
ExpressJet - 43.5%
Eage - 44.1%

CRJ200
PSA - 22.5%
Mesa - 26.1%
AirWis - 27.3%
Skywest - 28.7%
Pinnacle - 33.8%
ExpressJet - 35.1%

CRJ700
PSA - 22.2%
GoJet - 24.9%
Mesa - 27.5%
Skywest - 27.8%
ExpressJet - 36.9%
Eagle - 44.0%

E170
Republic - 24.2%
Compass - 42.2%

CRJ900
Mesa - 29.5%
Skywest - 33.2%
ExpressJet - 35.7%
Pinnacle - 38.6%

Again, you're equating guys crossing a picket line with Skywest pilots. That's an ignorant comparison.

Why do labor groups unionize?
Is this Form 41 data? This data is not complete and not comparable in the FFD carriers. If its not, I'd be curious to see the data and how it was compiled.

Last edited by Nevets; 04-27-2015 at 03:49 PM.