View Single Post
Old 05-02-2015, 11:39 AM
bedrock
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: ERJ, CA

I see you have analyzed your needs and your current training situation, and narrowed it down to FL for that reason. You had bad luck with enduring one of the worst east coast winters in years. however, I got my PPL in MD years ago, and weather was bad then too, but living costs 20 yrs ago weren't nearly so bad. I am sure you know, that being away from family is part of this business, especially at the lower levels in the airline business on reserve in junior bases. Have been able to get time in a flight training device for your IFR training? If you can maximize that, it will build your skills as well as keep costs down. PArt 141 training allows more FTD time. The best thing to do is go down to Aerosim and check out the facilities. Try to see other schools in FL too, so you can maximize the productivity of your trip. Go soon, though! The kids will be getting out of school soon, so the ticket price will go up!

When you go, ask to see the training contract and get a copy! Give them what ifs. Like what if I have to stop training for a week or 2 due to illness, can I change instructors, are checkride costs and written tests included in prices? Get a ride in back on a multi-engine instrument lesson if possible. See how many aircraft there are. Condition, check out maintenance hangar, is it ordered? Talk to other students. That's the only way to vet this place. Check for complaints against the school. If they balk at any of this it is a red flag. If you decide to go there, run the contract by a lawyer to understand the loopholes or risks. Florida in summer is going to be loaded with pop up thunderstorms, so you can have delays for those too.