View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 06:39 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Packrat View Post
That's a head scratcher. You would think for security purposes and airline wouldn't load a bag that was checked by a passenger who subsequently didn't get on the airplane.

Like Spirit, most of the airlines I've travelled standby on keep the standby bags on the ramp until the boarding agents radio down that the passenger has a seat and it kosher to load the bags. In fact, in my experience, if for any reason a boarded passenger decides/has to deplane, their bag is removed also. While that may entail a delay it seems the prudent policy to follow.
If the PASSENGER no shows or gets off the flight, the bag has to come off. If the AIRLINE bumps the pax, then the bag can go. Theory being it was not the pax's intention to stay behind. Airlines can of course make the effort to keep standbys and checked baggage together but it's not a requirement.

I've learned to live out of carry-on sized bags. They might gate-check the rollaboard, but not before I board. If I'm going somewhere for weeks on end I'll check one but the important stuff is in my carry-on.

I've pretty much given up non-reving my family members, but I tell them to take their toiletries in their purse/laptop bag.