View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 01:12 PM
duvie
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: WB Bunkie

As pilots, we seem to have a group tendency to be skeptical about the abilities of those around us. ATC, MX, dispatchers, etc. It is probably a survival tactic, but at some point its pretty important to have enough humility to trust those who are experts in their field (CRM model anyone).

Obviously it is incredibly frustrating to think that your career is in the hands of a computer scoring your responses to a couple hundred true/false answers, I simply ask anybody who has been through TK lately to judge the quality of the people in new hire classes. I for one, spent way less time in my room than I thought I would during my 2 weeks of indoc. My classmates, and those ahead and behind us were well-qualified and highly enjoyable individuals.

My point is, that is seems Bill Kennedy and his team seem to be doing an incredible job finding and selecting pilots. I can't tell you how I made it through the cracks, but I was surrounded by an awesome group of people and am impressed with whatever techniques they use to fill a class of 20 every single week.

The pilot archtype is generally pretty type-A. After quite a few years in the business, it seems there is a fine line between detail-oriented, mission-focused individuals and down-right quirky, introverted engineers. They seem far apart, but anybody who has been in the 121 world has to know what I'm talking about. So, if you're assembling a pilot group that is going to be around for longer than any other before it (the next 25-40 years for 80+% of new hires), who contribute arguably a large part of the company culture, I would definitely be interested in more than just a candidate's aviation qualifications. So, as king for a day, if I was presented with the fact that in instituting a personality inventory (the Hogan), that I was going to weed out 80 percent of the narcistic, paranoid, introverted, arrogant type-As out there, but as a penalty, was going to also weed out 20 percent of the good guys too. I'd probably give it the green light.

For that 20 percent of good guys/gals who get weeded out by the Hogan, that really sucks. But to categorically say that the idea of the test in the first place is ridiculous.... might mean you don't really understand what the training department is trying to do.