View Single Post
Old 05-05-2015, 08:41 PM
TonyC
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Originally Posted by Jetjok View Post

Personally, I think it's all about getting some aid to those who really need it, and not about a lousy layover or who is getting paid or not getting paid for the trip. Nor do I think that it's about the company or any of the individual crewmembers flying this/these flights, getting an attaboy. The Napalese, who by the way, live in one of the poorest countries on the planet, were dealt a very raw deal, and FedEx is doing the right thing. I'm proud of that.

When the MEC was collecting data, setting priorities, and formulating strategies for Contract 2010, one of the things I pushed for was to create a way for pilots to volunteer for humanitarian flying. As it is, there is no method under the CBA for a line pilot to contribute his time to flying something like this, even though many of us would gladly step up and do it for free.

During the latest Joint Council Meeting, the Negotiating Committee Chairman shared a few more details than usual about the current state of bargaining, and one of the things he mentioned was a change to the CBA that would allow a line pilot to contribute to this kind of cause. I'm glad to hear that concept wasn't lost in the last 5 years of stalling, and hopeful that it will survive in the final CBA.