Thread: Skywest
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 06:43 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Nevets View Post
Your policy is not recognized by the NMB as a legal document. Plus, we are talking about RAISING first year pay. Which one of you at-will employees is going to file a lawsuit over that? What court would have jurisdiction? On what grounds would the suit be filed?
Originally Posted by 404yxl View Post
Skywest pilots have no CBA protection and they can raise first year pay to $30 if they chose. They can also give the rest of the pilot group 1% raises. CBA's exist for a reason.
There are many binding legal agreements which have no union involved whatsoever Inc has acknowledged that the pilot agreement is a legal contract. The idea that the contract not being a "legal agreement" is union propaganda...and trying to perpetuate a myth like that is counter-productive because not many people are actually that stupid.

Unions provide other things such as the ability to (or threat of) strike to apply leverage during negotiations.

Inc's approach to the pilot contract has been similar to other regionals...weak language which can later be subject to interpretation. A union (or a good labor lawyer) would be a great help there.

While company minions can "re-interpret" PPM language to their hearts content, if the company were to unilaterally make a big adjustment to pilot pay scales after the pilots voted no, that would be a major turning point and would most likely result in a union on board asap. I suspect they would make another offer before just granting selective raises. Also somebody *could* file a class-action suit, and presumably at least one somebody would have the time and inclination. If it were me, I'd file in Cali...easier venue than S. Utah and there are plenty of class members employed there. Newer employees may have signed binding arbitration agreements, but the old-skool peeps probably did not.