Thread: Skywest
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 09:14 AM
Nevets
Banned

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: EMB 145 CPT

Originally Posted by skypilot35 View Post
Compass, TSA, Republic: Union (owned by Tran States Holdings)
Piedmont, PSA, Envoy: Union ( owned by AAG)
ASA / Expressjet: Union

Union does not matter at the regional level. Move along little doggy.

If you honestly think that ANY of those places would be better off dealing with their respective managements without a union, then I don't know what to tell you. And that's one BIG difference a union at a regional makes.

Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
I can't think of any regionals, union or not, who's coattails are worth riding on.

Air Wisconsin, Horizon, ASA, XJT

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
I would venture that SKW pilots did not create the "bottom bidding regional industry".

What about flying 76 seat jets for 50 seat rates? Maybe you didn't create it, per se, but that certainly didn't help.

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
There are many binding legal agreements which have no union involved whatsoever Inc has acknowledged that the pilot agreement is a legal contract. The idea that the contract not being a "legal agreement" is union propaganda...and trying to perpetuate a myth like that is counter-productive because not many people are actually that stupid.

Unions provide other things such as the ability to (or threat of) strike to apply leverage during negotiations.

Inc's approach to the pilot contract has been similar to other regionals...weak language which can later be subject to interpretation. A union (or a good labor lawyer) would be a great help there.

While company minions can "re-interpret" PPM language to their hearts content, if the company were to unilaterally make a big adjustment to pilot pay scales after the pilots voted no, that would be a major turning point and would most likely result in a union on board asap. I suspect they would make another offer before just granting selective raises. Also somebody *could* file a class-action suit, and presumably at least one somebody would have the time and inclination. If it were me, I'd file in Cali...easier venue than S. Utah and there are plenty of class members employed there. Newer employees may have signed binding arbitration agreements, but the old-skool peeps probably did not.
1. There are many contracts. What I'm saying is that what you have in your ppm is not one. So therefore it's not binding. This is not a myth. It's the meaning of being an at-will employee.

2. Inc acknowledged it? Oh then I guess it must be true that you have a contract! Did they also acknowledge that you are the best of the best? Or that you have a fair, third party, grievance resolution process? Or that thee is no conflict of interest in management funding SAPA? Do you supposed that that acknowledgement by your management serves their purpose and illusion to the pilot group? I have to believe that you guys are not that naive and are actually smarter than that.

3. Strike as leverage is the true myth here. Unless you are a ULCC. This is not the only leverage a union provides. The fact that they can't unilaterally reinterpret, change, delete, add, work rules is what gives leverage, among other things. The BIGGEST leverage actually comes from outside sources, such as pilot shortages, improving economy, etc. But without a union, you cannot use as much of it to your advantage.

4. Weak language in contracts are a product of old contracts. At ALPA for example, we know what language has been taken advantage of at all the other ALPA carriers and therefore know what doesn't work, how to improve it, and if new strategies are required. Of course, strict contract administration with the ability to ultimately send disputes to third party arbitration is also required. Something you don't even have in order to stem attempted reinterpretations.

5. You admit that company can reinterpret the ppm and can also change pilot pay scales (which in eyes of the nmb, would be an act that qualifies as a 'major dispute') just as I was saying! So is it not a contract with legal interpretive precedence (as all pilot contracts have) or not? Do you have the federal jurisprudence of being able to act under the auspices of major disputes or not? My feeling is that if you did, you would be summarily fired. Meaning you don't have a contract because you are an at-will employee.

7. So I this class action lawsuit, you didn't answer a couple of questions. Under what basis (law) and what jurisdiction (federal or state) would this supposed suit be filed? In other words, what law are you alleging would be broken?

8. They are making new employees sign binding arbitration agreements?! Geez, what's it going to take for you guys to realize that you are at a disadvantage work it an b recognized bargaining agent?

Originally Posted by Mercyful Fate View Post
Which question is that?

I'll repost:

"I'm just asking a question. I didn't intend for you to get defensive about it. I'm curious if you are a pilot at Skywest or any other regional for that matter? Or are you a dispatcher or something else for Skywest? I honestly don't think that the supposed Skywest dispatchers on this board are really dispatchers. So which is it? No judging, promise."