Thread: Skywest
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 12:38 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Nevets View Post
1. There are many contracts. What I'm saying is that what you have in your ppm is not one. So therefore it's not binding. This is not a myth. It's the meaning of being an at-will employee.
It's as binding as any other agreement between two parties. A lot of it is weak because of poor language, but the payscale table could not be any clearer.

2. Inc acknowledged it? Oh then I guess it must be true that you have a contract!
Well it is true, regardless of what SGU has to say about it. The fact that they acknowledged just shows their state of mind and gives some insight as to how they might approach a conflict.

Did they also acknowledge that you are the best of the best?
WTH???

Or that you have a fair, third party, grievance resolution process? Or that thee is no conflict of interest in management funding SAPA? Do you supposed that that acknowledgement by your management serves their purpose and illusion to the pilot group? I have to believe that you guys are not that naive and are actually smarter than that.
I never said anything to the contrary and of course we're smarter than that (well some of us are probably too lazy to care).

3. The fact that they can't unilaterally reinterpret, change, delete, add, work rules is what gives leverage, among other things. The BIGGEST leverage actually comes from outside sources, such as pilot shortages, improving economy, etc. But without a union, you cannot use as much of it to your advantage.
I think that's what I said before. Unions provide other benefits, but they are not technically needed to get a contract enforced...I've executed countless business and personal contracts, and never had union involved in any of them.

4. Weak language in contracts are a product of old contracts. At ALPA for example, we know what language has been taken advantage of at all the other ALPA carriers and therefore know what doesn't work, how to improve it, and if new strategies are required. Of course, strict contract administration with the ability to ultimately send disputes to third party arbitration is also required. Something you don't even have in order to stem attempted reinterpretations.

5. You admit that company can reinterpret the ppm and can also change pilot pay scales (which in eyes of the nmb, would be an act that qualifies as a 'major dispute') just as I was saying! So is it not a contract with legal interpretive precedence (as all pilot contracts have) or not? Do you have the federal jurisprudence of being able to act under the auspices of major disputes or not? My feeling is that if you did, you would be summarily fired. Meaning you don't have a contract because you are an at-will employee.
Yeah, I said that or tried to.

7. So I this class action lawsuit, you didn't answer a couple of questions. Under what basis (law) and what jurisdiction (federal or state) would this supposed suit be filed? In other words, what law are you alleging would be broken?
No law needs to be broken. This would a tort claim in the civil system (better review your first-year lawschool textbooks again).

A professional labor lawyer would be needed to determine the best venue, but the CA civil system pops out as glaringly obvious...lots of SKW pilots live and employed in CA, labor friendly judges & juries, and no close ties to any particular church. A win there might not legally help the UT crowd but it would be hard for the company to pay out only to the Cali peeps...

Not as elegant as the NMB system by any means but I'm willing to bet it's a mess that Inc would really like to avoid. They might get multiple suits in multiple states...good times.
8. They are making new employees sign binding arbitration agreements?! Geez, what's it going to take for you guys to realize that you are at a disadvantage work it an b recognized bargaining agent?
That's what I heard but I can't say for sure it's fact. But most companies do these days.