View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 01:49 PM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

I'm not an FAA examiner, so this is just my opinion. I base it on being a military flight examiner and getting plenty of civilian check rides in both appendix H and AQP programs.

There are certain things that are auto-bust and those typically involve violation of regulations, procedures and/or safety issues. Other errors have to be evaluated based on the situation. Were they caught and corrected or was the examinee unaware of their error or maybe unaware of why it or its result occurred.

In your situation, you didn't violate any regulation and executed a safe missed approach. You realized your error and re-accomplished the ILS properly to a safe landing. IMO, that's not a bust. It would be a de-brief item and worthy of a comment on the check-ride record.

If you never caught the error or flew a LOC to ILS mins, that would be a much different situation and it would be a bust.

The "no warm fuzzy" MAP could be viewed as good judgment. I would be inclined to allow someone one of those on a check ride as long as it wasn't a trend item. It is a check ride, so eventually you have to "be the ball" and get stuff done.

Usually an examiner can tell if someone is worthy of a re-attempt or if they are just not cutting it that day. The AQP training programs that most airlines use these days have leeway for re-attempts should they be warranted.

Perhaps the guy in threeighteen's scenario busted because he "leveled off at LOC minimums" on an ILS. There are valid reasons for doing that (off flag in glideslope, etc) but if it was just due to forgetting he was flying an ILS versus a LOC or lack of procedural knowledge, then maybe that was worthy of a bust.