View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 04:04 PM
marz7490
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2015
Position: Commercial Pilot
Default Recommended route?

Seeking some advice!

I am looking to get going on my flight training and I would like to go through it as quick as possible, but, at the same time I am seeking the best training possible that will hopefully result in the career I am seeking. That being said, I am starting on my PPL at the local airport to see how things go but I keep reading about these career based academies, (ATP, AeroSim, etc.) I hear good and bad things about these schools but I also hear some benefits. My biggest concern comes with being able to focus on MY training.

Honestly, what I am looking for is advice on my personal situation. I am now 24 and flying is something that I have always been obsessed with, and for as long as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a pilot. When I graduated high school in 2008 I thought about going to Embry-Riddle but instead I jumped at a job offer in the automotive industry. Here we are almost 6 years later and I am realizing that aviation is my calling and that I would like to follow my dream of being a pilot. On the brighter side of things I am in a MUCH better position to fund my training.

Obviously there is no right or wrong way to do this but I am hoping to hear everyone's input on what's the suggested route to take in order to make an educated decision.

Known options:
1. Locally achieve all necessary licenses, get an instructor job and build time.

2. ATP, AeroSim, etc.

3. Go to Embry-Riddle, Purdue, UND, other aviation focused college.

As mentioned before, I am hoping to hear from guys that have been in a similar position that can reflect back on personal experience.

Thanks in advance!