View Single Post
Old 05-12-2015, 08:07 AM
av8rdude
Out to pasture...

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: B777 Capt

I apologize for the curt tone of my reply and especially if I came off as rude. That was not my intent at all.

It's just that many of us are sensitive to persons unknown to us asking about what airplanes lay over where and for how long and whether the same crews fly them in and out, are nearby, etc. That kind of info is directly related to operational security, the need for which is regrettable but crucial in today's environment.

I fondly remember when anyone could go out to the airport and hang around the fence to watch airplanes, even walk around on the ramp to look at the planes up close and take pictures. No problem. But 9-11 changed all that. Now the friendly and open air of aviation the way it used to be has been poisoned with suspicion and even paranoia. Maybe it's necessary to be more guarded and security-concious, even secretive, than before, but I hate it. Some of the joy, openness, and spontaneity of the aviation brotherhood has definitely diminished. Too bad...

Anyway, I'm sure any FedEx pilot who knows you would be glad to regale you with tales of how his schedule can vary from cushy to onerous within one trip sequence, let alone a whole month. It's just that a public internet forum is not the place for details that could be exploited by those with evil intent.